Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Beautiful Game

John McGrann
The Beautiful Game – a phrase often associated with football. That’s real football, as played in every nation on earth. A game that inspires loyalty, fraternity, great emotions, passion…. This great passion is evidenced in great stadiums in great cities globally; and on local parks on most days in their vicinity. The Beautiful Game has given us great players, great teams and managers; great games; great stories and most of all great fans.


I was amazed when I checked out Wikipedia for The Beautiful Game:

Football commentator Stuart Hall is the only individual to have claimed to have

created "The Beautiful Game". In his youth, Hall admired Peter Doherty when he went to see Manchester City play at Maine Road and used the term "The Beautiful Game" to describe Doherty's style when playing. Consequently, he used the term "The Beautiful Game" in his commentary career later on in life which popularised the phrase.

As an 11 year old I attended a massive football trial in Maghull, near Liverpool. The best player would get to spend the summer as a guest of Preston North End - training and just being around a professional club full time. I was fortunate to win the competition and was looked after by Stuart Baxter, reserve team centre half and his lovely landlady. It was a memorable 6 weeks and it soon came to an end, as do all good things, when my Dad came to collect me from the training ground.
Peter Doherty

He asked me if everything was OK and I replied “Fantastic Dad! The only thing is that the older man over there has worked me so hard the last few days I’m knackered. He is so enthusiastic it’s unbelievable. I wonder who he is Dad?” I asked. The man was a regular looking guy but unlike everyone else he was dressed in jacket and tie…on the training pitch.

My Dad, Paddy smiled. “That man son is one of the greatest players I ever saw…that man is Peter Doherty, a legend and a gentleman.”

And very passionate about The Beautiful Game...


John McGrann
Football Crazy World

No comments:

Post a Comment